Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India
* School: Don
Bosco Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Egmore,
* College: Graduated in Economics from Loyola
* Attended Major Management Programme “Owner/President
Programme” [OPM] in Harvard Business
School, Boston, USA.
English, Tamil and Hindi
Mother: Mallika Maran
Grandmother: Shanmugasundarathamal (Karunanidhi's
Brother: Kalanidhi Maran
Sister: Dr. Anbukkarasi.
Wife: Priya Dayanidhi Maran
Children: A daughter and a son
26 August 1994
Golf, cricket and tennis
Books and journals in
the areas of Current Affairs, Political Science, Social
Science, Commerce, Finance, Global Trade and Information
editorials to Kungumam - a Tamil Weekly; and associated
with print media and information technology for the
last 13 years
and Designer clothes
Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam
* Entered politics after
the death of his father Murasoli Maran.
* Contested as a Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Party candidate to the 14th Lok Sabha
from Central Chennai Constituency
in Chennai in the State of Tamil Nadu in Parliamentary
Elections held in April – May 2004.
* Elected as a Member of Parliament by winning with
a margin of over 1,34,000 votes and securing over
62% of the votes polled.
* Appointed as Union Minister for Communications and
Information Technology w.e.f. 26.05.2004.
* Was the youngest
Has attended various Seminars, Conferences and Expositions
in the field of Political Economy, Management, Visual
and Print Media.
* Used to accompany Dr. Karunanidhi for all functions.
* Widely traveled
* He initially found it difficult to address voters
in Tamil and it was M K Stalin who spearheaded his
* Resigned his cabinet post due to the
fallout between Dr.Karunanithi's family and the
* GSMA Honours Indian
Government for Achievements in Mobile Communications
(13th February, 2007)
Bharat Asmita Jana-Pratinidhi Shrestha Award by MAEER’s
Maharashtra Institute Technology (MIT) School of Management,
Pune for the best young exponent of Parliamentary
Practices and promotion of Democracy on 3rd February,
* Received young global leader award at the maiden
summit in SWITZERLAND (24th June, 2005)
* Was awarded Sigaram-15 Achiever Award in the field
of Politics by India Today Group on 25th August, 2005.
18, Gopalapuram, 2nd
Chennai - 600 086 (Tamil Nadu)
losing his MP seat
"I don't care
about the ministerial berth. Ministry does not make
any difference to me. I am only sad that an accusation
has been put on me that I indulged in anti-party activities."