Pratibha Devisingh Patil
Social Worker, practiced as Advocate at Jalgaon
* R.R. School at Jalgaon
M.A. from Mooljee Jaitha (M.J.) College, Jalgaon
law degree from the Government Law College, Mumbai
Father: Narayan Paglu Rao
* Husband: Dr Devisingh Ramsingh
* Son: Rajendra
* Daughter: Jyoti
4 grandsons; 4 granddaughters
Married Devisingh Ransingh Shekhawat
on July 7, 1965.
* First woman president of India
* 13th president of India
* Got 65.82% of votes in the presidential
* Does not want to be a 'rubber stamp' President
* Described herself as the Republic's first servant
* Loves Utthapam and Dal but avoids spinach and
Began her political career in 1962 at the age of 27.
Has handled the portfolios of tourism, social welfare and housing under several chief ministers, Vasantdada Patil, Babasaheb Bhosle, S. B. Chavan and Sharad Pawar.
Was continually re-elected to the assembly, either from Jalgaon or the nearby Edlabad constituencies, until 1985, when she was elected to the Rajya Sabha as a Congress candidate.
a staunch supporter of Nehru-Gandhi family
* She protested the arrest of Indira Gandhi in December 1977 and
spent 10 days in prison.
* In 1980, the Congress (I) swept back into power, and her name was considered a front-runner for the Chief Minister's post. However, the post went to Sanjay Gandhi's confidant A. R. Antulay, who was soon forced to resign on corruption charges.
* Following differences between Patil and then Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) chief Prabha Rau, Rajiv Gandhi appointed her as MPCC chief (1988-90).
* She has also served as Director of National Federation of Urban Co-operative Banks & Credit Societies and the Member of Governing Council, National Co-operative, Union of India.
* In November 2004, eight years after she had completed her term in the 10th Lok Sabha, Pratibha Patil was recalled from political hibernation to become the first woman Governor of Rajasthan.
* She was the second politician from Maharashtra in this post, the first being Vasantdada Patil.
* With Pratibha Patil as Governor, Rajasthan had women in three significant positions of power in the state, including Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje and Assembly Speaker Sumitra Singh
* On 14th June, United Progressive Alliance (UPA), the ruling alliance of political parties in India headed by Congress (I), and the Indian left nominated her as their candidate for the Presidential Election to be held on 19 July 2007.
* As a result of the potential that she would become the first female President of India, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi described her nomination as a "historic occasion" in India's 60th year of independence.
India Today labeled her as an embarassing choice
* As a Governor of Rajasthan she opposed the
Rajasthan government's controversial
she excelled in table tennis, winning various inter-college tournaments.
* In 1962, Pratibha Patil was voted "College Queen" of M.J. College.
Bulgaria, Kenya,UK and Puerto Rico
and Cultural activities
Welfare of Women - established a Hostel for working
women in Mumbai and Delhi.
* Engineering College at Jalgaon for the benefit
of the rural youth.
* Managing Trustee, Shram Sadhana Trust.
Chief Promoter and Chairperson of a Sugar
Factory in Jalgaon District, Maharashtra.
Established Mahila Vikas Mahamandal, a
Government owned Corporation
Industrial Training School for Blind in Jalgaon
and Managing a School for poor children of
Vimukta Jamatis & Nomadic Tribes.
Establishment of Mahila Cooperative Bank at
While she was a Minister in the Govt of Maharashtra,
she established Govt owned Corporation Mahila
1962-85: Member, Maharasthra Legislative
1967-72: Deputy Minister, Public Health,
Prohibition, Tourism, Housing and Parliamentary
Affairs, Govt. of Maharasthra
1972-74: Cabinet Minister, Social Welfare, Govt.
1974-75: Cabinet Minister, Public Health and
Social Welfare, Maharasthra
1975-76: Cabinet Minister, Prohibition,
Rehabilitation and Cultural Affairs, Govt of
1977-78: Cabinet Minister, Education, Govt of
July 1979 to February1980: Leader of Opposition,
CLP(I), Govt of Maharashtra
1982-85: Cabinet Minister, Urban Development and
Housing, Govt of Maharashtra
1983-85: Cabinet Minister, Civil Supplies and
Social Welfare, Govt of Maharashtra
June, 1985-90: Elected to Rajya Sabha
18 November 1986 to 5 November1988: Deputy
Chairman, Rajya Sabha
1986-88: Chairman, Committee on Privileges,
Rajya Sabha Member, Business Advisory Committee,
1991: Elected to 10th Lok Sabha Chairperson,
House Committee, Lok Sabha
2004-07: Governor of Rajasthan
* July 25, 2007 - President of India
President- PCC Maharashtra 1988-1990, Director
of National Federation of Urban Cooperative
Banks & Credit Societies
* Member of Governing Council, National
Cooperative Union of India.
"Women have always been respected in the Indian culture. The purdah system was introduced to protect them from the Muslim invaders. However, times have changed. India is now independent and hence, the systems should also change. Now that women are progressing in every field, we should morally support and encourage them by leaving such practices behind".
For this she was severely criticized by Islamic theologians connected with the Muslim Personal Law
||* On 10 December 1975, when she was the Health Minister of Maharashtra, Pratibha Patil advocated in Maharashtra Assembly that people with hereditary diseases should be compulsorily
* Allegations of shielding her brother on a burder
* Pratibha Women Cooperative
* Sant Muktabai Cooperative Sugar Factory
* Polytechnic scam
* MPLADS scam
New Delhi, India
* 57, New Congress Nagar,
Opp. Govt Milk Scheme,
* 1701, Vainganga,
Worli Sagar Co-operative Housing Society,
Pochkhanwala Road, Worli, Mumbai - 400 025,
Other Sites about
Compiled by: Gayathri & PS
- Pratibha Patil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The Acorn » Pratibha Patil - Questionable Candidate
- BBC NEWS | South Asia | Profile: Pratibha Patil
- IndianExpress.com :: Pratibha Patil is unmoved: A woman will be ...
- The Hindu : Front Page : Pratibha Patil, a firm believer in ...
- The Hindu : Front Page : Prathibha patil elected President
- 'Pratibha Patil insulted Islam'
- Late Baba spoke to me, claims Pratibha Patil
- How Pratibha Patil was chosen as Prez candidate