Writer, Producer, Actor
17th July 1941
Allinagaram, Madurai, Tamilnadu
- Periya Maya Thevar
Mother - Meenatchiammaal (a) Karuthammaal
Wife - Chandra Leelavathi
Son - Manoj
Daughter - Janani
Daughter-in-law - Nandhana
hunting and literature
* Sanitary Inspector in the Public Health Department
in 1963, at a monthly salary of Indian Rs.75/-
* Staging dramas
* Radio programs
* worked in a petrol station
Director: 16 vayathinile - Tamil
Yerra Gulabi - Telugu
Solva Sawan - Hindi
Actor: Kallukkul Eeram
* He wrote, directed and acted in his first dramas
"Oor Sirikkirathu" (The Town Laughs)
and "Summa Oru Kadhai" (Just a Story) in
Theni, Pazhani and Chettiyapatti village during
* While in Chennai he wrote "Adhigaaram"
(Power) with the help of his friends.
job in the film world
As assistant to director P.Pullaiya and Kannada
film maker Puttanna Kanagal
* Was the fifth child to his parents
* Was interested in the films right from his childhood
* Was a good speaker and went places spreading
social awareness among the uneducated villagers.
* Came to Chennai with just 350 rupees and his
* His first directorial debut was a blockbuster
* Kamal, Rajini, Sridevi who acted in this film
later on became film superstars.
* Kamal was the hero and Rajini was a villian
in this movie
* Was a great block buster for Illayaraja as far
as music is concerned
* A movie about a psychopathic woman hater that
was totally westernized in terms of both conception
* This broke the general opinion of the public
that Bharathiraja can only direct village oriented
* Tik..Tik..Tik - action thriller
*Alaigal Oivadhillai, Mann Vaasanai and Mudhal
Mariyaadhai - were strong love stories in
a village backdrop.
* Mudhal Mariyaadhai film remains one
of the most successful films for both himself
and Sivaji Ganesan.
* Vedham Pudhithu, a masterpiece that can
be considered his best film so far, dealt with
the caste issue in a much stronger manner. It
stirred up many controversies
* Pudumai Penn - social awareness
* The huge commercial
success of Kizhakkuch Cheemaiyile and
the awards Karuththamma garnered stand
as testimony for his ability to thrill the younger
generation as well.
Director- Balu mahendra
- Bagyaraj, Manivannan
Actors: Karthik, Pandian, Raja, Nizhalgal
Ravi, Sudhakar, Rahul,Vijayan
Rathi, Rekha, Revathi, Radha, Ranjitha, Uma, Aswini,
Suganya & Vijayshanthi
Padma Shri award for his contribution to Cinema
* National award for the best screen play writer
for Kadal Pookal in 2001.
* National Award for Anthimanthaarai in 1996
* National Award for Karuththamma in 1994 for
being the best film with the a social message.
Always starts his speeches with “en iniya Tamil
* Famous for directing and later producing village
* Probably most of the heroines introduced by
him used to have their film name starting with
'R' like Radhika, Rathi, Rekha, Revathi,Radha,
mother Karuthamma received the National Award
for the movie 'Karuthamma' on his behalf.
* Bommalattam is his 50th film.
* His son Manoj has acted in many films
* When he entered the film world he wanted to
be an actor
* He does not want his films to be remade