Bishop cotton Girls High School, Bangalore.
Convent Church Park, Chennai.
versed in Bharata Natyam, Mohini Attam,
* Kannada film:' chinnada
* Telugu film:' Manushulu Mamathalu'
* Tamil film :'vennira aadai '
* With MGR:"Aayirarhthil Oruvan"
* With Shivaji: 'Galaata Kalyaanam'
to fame character
As a vampish lead in
G. Krishna's James Bond-type hit Goodachari 116
she was noticed by everyone..
First as the Secretary of the
AIADMK, then was nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
* 1972- Kalaimamani award from the government of
* 1991- Was conferred the Degree of Doctor of Literature(D.Litt) by the
University of Madras.
* 1992- Dr MGR Medical University conferred the degree of Doctor of Science.
* 1993-Madurai Kamaraj University conferred the degree of Doctor of Letters.
* 2003-Tamil Nadu Agricultural University conferred the degree of Doctor of
* 2003-Bharathidasan University conferred the degree of Doctor of Letters (Honoris
persons in her life
* Mother Celine(school head mistress)
* Her mother for her career in films.
* Dr. M.G.R for her career in politics.
When she was attacked
in the Tamil Nadu Assembly by then ruling party
In 1982 when she gave her maiden speech about 'pennin
perumai' which was applauded by Dr. M.G.R
*In 1984 her Rajya sabha maiden speech which
impressed Mrs.Indira Gandhi
passing away of her mother and Dr.M.G.R.
the welfare of women
* Cradle baby scheme.
* All women police station.
Has a large private library with a huge
collection of books
tamil, hindi and english movies
by the book
* After completion
of Matriculation in 1964, she won a scholarship
from Government of India for higher studies but
did not accept it as she took up a career in
* Played 'herself' as a politician/chief minister
in the movie 'Neenga Nalla Erukkanum'
assets were worth Rs 2.01 crore, after five years
in power, her assets were calculated to be
disproportionate by Rs 66.65.
* Out of the 468
gold items seized during the raid, the ‘ottiyanam’,
weighing 1,044 gms with 2,389 diamond, emerald and
ruby stones, and engraved with a dancing peacock
in the middle alone was worth Rs 46.79 lakhs.
* The first Woman
Leader of the Opposition in the Tamil Nadu
* She was elected
from Andipatti Assembly constituency in February
2002 to become the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
from 24-06-1991 to 12-05-1996,
* from 14-05-2001
* from 02-03-2002
handled by her as C.M.
General Administration, Indian Administrative
Service, Indian Police Service, other All India
Services, District Revenue Officers, Home, Police
and Minorities Welfare.
Nilayam", 81/36 Poes Garden, Chennai -
of my life was dominated by my mother, the other
part — a major one — was dominated by MGR.
Two-third of my life is thus over. One third
remains and this part of my life remains for
myself but there are some responsibilities and
duties to be fulfilled”.