|Place of birth
||Amritsar , 1949
||Dad : Prakash
Mom : Prem Peshawaria
Sisters : Shashi(settled in Canada), Reeta (Tennis player,writer),Anu(Tennis player)
Husband : Shri Brij Bedi, a Textile Engineer in Amritsar.
Daughter : Saina Bedi
- Graduation English (Hons.) Government College for Women, Amritsar.
- Masters in Political Science from Punjab University, Chandigarh (Topped the University).
- Law Degree � Delhi University, New Delhi
- Ph.D I.I.T., Delhi (Department of Social Sciences) on `Drug Abuse and Domestic Violence’.
- Awarded Jawaharlal Nehru Fellowship to write about the work done at Tihar Jail during my tenure as IG (Prisons)
- Joined Indian Police Service in 1972 (the first woman in India to do so).
- as Deputy Inspector General (Range) Mizoram.
- Inspector General of Prisons, of Tihar Jails, Delhi.
- Special Secretary to the Lt. Governor of Delhi
- Joint Commissioner with Delhi Police.
- Inspector General of Police, Chandigarh.
- Joint Commissioner of Police (Training), Delhi Police
||Been a National Junior and Senior Tennis Champion and Asian Tennis Champion.
|Books about her
- “What Went Wrong?”.collection of The fortnightly column written by Kiran Bedi
- The Motivating Bediby Kiran Bedi
- It’s Always Possible-by Kiran
- I Dare! biography of kiran Bedi by Parmesh Dangwal
- Kiran Bedi � The Kindly Baton, by Dr Meenakshi Saksena,
- It is Always Possible-By Kiran Bedi
- “Government@net” by Sandeep Srivastava and Parminder Jeet Singh
- President’s Gallantry Award, 1979
- Woman of the Year Award 1980
- Ramon Magsaysay Award, 1994
- Lion of the Year, 1995
- Pride of India, 1999
- Bharat Gaurav Award, 1999
- And a lot more……
- Placed in the 5th position amongst “Ten Most Admired Indians” as per an exclusive Opinion Poll amongst a list of 100 eminent Indians conducted jointly by “The Week” dated 10 September 2000.
- Voted 1st amongst “Ten Most Admired Women” through a nation-wide TN Sofres Mode Poll and published in “The Week” in its issue dated 15 September 2002
To address International Police Chiefs Conference (1992), USA.
To attend National Prayer Breakfast with the President of USA in 1995.
To attend United Nations WomenConference at BEIJING (1995)
Invited to address Prison Governors Association, Annual Conference at Buxton, U.K. March 2000.
And a lot more…..