||Manoj Nelliyattu Shyamalan
||Director, Screenwriter and Actor
|Date of birth
||6th August 1970
|Place of birth
- Filmmaking -> Tisch School of the Arts –
- Graduation -> New York University – 1992
- Episcopal Academy, a private school in Lower Merion, PA
- Father : Nelliate C. Shyamalan-> Is a cardiologist.
- Mother : Jayalakshmi Shyamalan -> Is an obstetrician
- Spouse : Bhavna – having 2 Kids ( Married since 1993 )
|Name of his company
||Blinding Edge Pictures
|Likes to read
|Fueled the passion for filmaking
||Super-8 camera he received when he was 8 years old.
||Praying With Anger (1993)
- Francis Ford Coppola’s “The Godfather” – all time film
- “Raiders of the Lost Ark”
- “The Exorcist”
- “Die Hard”
- Signs (2002) -> $12,500,000
- Unbreakable (2000) -> $10,000,000
- Sixth Sense, The (1999) -> $3,000,000
||The movie made him a world famous screenwriter and director in 1999 and it was the No.2 box-office phenomenon, surpassed only by Star Wars I.
|Premiere’s annual Power 100 List
- Ranked #23 in 2004
- Ranked #21 in 2003
- Ranked #64 in 2002
- 5th-highest ranked director
|Awards and Honors
Episcopal Academy’s 2001 Distinguished Alumni Award
Gold in the 1999 blockbuster
Two Oscar nominations for Best Director and Best Picture for the film Sixth Sense
Golden Satellite 1999
- Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004)
- The Village (2004)
- Signs (2002) -> Producer, Actor, Director, Writer
- Unbreakable (2000) -> Producer, Actor, Director, Writer
- The Sixth Sense (1999) -> Actor, Director, Writer
- Stuart Little (1999) -> Writer
- Wide Awake (1998) -> Director, Writer
- Praying With Anger (1993) ->Producer,Actor,Director,Writer
- With family moved from India to Penn Valley, Pennsylvania.
- 1980 Began making film at age 10 (date approximate).
- 1986 By age 16, had completed 45th short film.
- 1992 Feature film debut as writer, director and star of “Praying With Anger”, filmed in Madras, India in 1992.
- 1993-1994 Wrote screenplay for “Labor of Love”; sold to Fox for $750,000
- 1995 Sold the script for “Wide Awake” to Miramax for $250,000 on condition the film will be done in Philadelphia.
- 1997 Hired to rewrite script for “Stuart Little” (1999).
- 1999 Breakthrough film, “The Sixth Sense”, starring Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment; wrote and directed and made cameo appearance as a doctor.
- 2000 Reportedly received $5 million to write and $5 million to direct the thriller “Unbreakable”, starring Willis and Samuel L Jackson.
- 2002 Wrote and directed the supernatural thriller “Signs,” starring Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix.
- 2003 Reunited with Joaquin Phoenix for the horror feature “The Woods”, for which he served as writer and director.
- Name pronounced SHAH-ma-lawn.
- Middle name Night was made up during college.
- 1988 Graduate of Episcopal Academy.
- The silver charm worn around his neck was given to him by his father and contains Sanskrit proverbs to keep him safe.
- Films are religiously themed.
- Next film The Life Of Pi which will be shot in Pondicherry, India
- Got married when he was only 22 years old.
- Well versed in martial art Kempo
- Highest paid screenwriter in Hollywood (Disney gave him $5 million to write Signs (2002))
||“I play for a living…Success is tied to a feeling of magic, which I can protect and My hope is we broke so many rules we created a new rule”.